1/1 Photo of Easy Cuban Black Beans
Chef Regina V. Smith's Note:
You would never guess that this recipe uses canned beans. Don't skip the chorizo as it adds a lovely bottom note to the flavour of the dish. Muy facil!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup olive oil (preferably Spanish olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chorizo sausage, chopped (approx. 1/2 a sausage)
- 1/2 cup canned tomato, drained and chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Drain one can of black beans and discard the liquid. Save the liquid from the other can of beans, and set it aside.
- 2In a medium sized sauce pan over low heat, heat the olive oil until it is fragrant; then add the garlic, red onion, green pepper and chorizo. Cook onion is tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the chopped tomatoes and cook another 10 minutes.
- 4Add the beans, bean liquid from the one can of beans, chicken stock, cumin, hot sauce and red wine vinegar. Stir to blend. Correct the seasonings and simmer, uncovered until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- 5Garnish with green onions and serve.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Cuban Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 576.0
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.5 mg
- Sodium 334.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 20.8 g