Recipe by BeachGirl
A light & fluffy sweet/tart lemon pie that has half the sugar of regular pies, because Crystal Light lemonade mix contains aspartame sweetener (like Equal). Covered with plastic wrap, this keeps well for several days in the refrigerator. Baking time includes chilling time.
Top Review by moxie
This is a nice light-textured pie with an intense tart flavor. I made it once in a regular pie crust -- and once in parfait glasses layered with crushed gingersnaps. They were a nice sweet complement to the tartness of the pie. I think it would be nice in a graham cracker crust, too. Because I cook for a little one, I am nervous about using raw eggs in dishes, so I also tried a version of this using powdered egg whites (I get them on the cake decorating aisle) and 2 Tbsp. of melted butter instead of the egg yolks. I got a slightly creamier texture, but the pie was still quite delicious. I would recommend this version for anyone who shares my "raw egg paranoia." =) Overall, a really good recipe. Thanks so much for another keeper, Beachgirl.
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 whole eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 ounce crystal light lemonade mix (the amount that would make 1/2 gallon of lemonde)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Bake pie crust as directed on package for crust that will be filled with an unbaked pie.
- In small bowl, with electric mixer, beat egg whites until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff.
- Set aside.
- In food processor or blended, combine gelatin, 1/4 cup sugar and boiling water.
- Process on High about 40 seconds.
- Add egg yolks and process another 10 seconds.
- With food processor running, add Crystal Light powder and crushed ice.
- Process until smooth.
- Pour into mixing bowl and gently fold in egg white mixture until well-blended.
- Pour into baked pie crust.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Chill several hours until set.
- To serve, slice into wedges and top with fat-free non-dairy topping.