Recipe by pammyowl
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
November 15, 2013: I was so looking forward to this recipe, I just wish I had read Jude's review before making it myself. We aren't going to get to eat this batch, but I'll definitely try it again this weekend. The first change I'll have to make is not using my jelly roll pan. The crackers (I used Saltines, cause I liked the idea of having the salt and they were on hand) did not cover the whole pan, so they slid around and separated after pouring on the hot toffee. I put the pan in the oven for the 15 minutes, but will cut it way back next time, to check it first at 5 minutes and then probably continue to 10 total, but by 15 it smelled like it had burned. We couldn't tell however, because my jelly roll pan is black, so we put it in the refrigerator. We could hardly wait to try it, but when we took it out of the fridge it was rock hard and stuck to the greased pan. I had to use a metal dough scraper to try to cut through the toffee between some crackers that had separated and when it popped out it was burned black on the bottom. :( We were so bummed! I tried it anyway, but had to spit it out. I've got to buy more butter (used up 2.5 lbs baking today) and then we'll try it again with a smaller pan, probably lined with foil instead of greased, and adjusted timing for my oven. I have no doubt this will be a killer recipe once I get it right. Maybe I'll get the Matzo crackers while I'm at the store. UPDATE: November 17, 2013: Okay, I stuck with the Saltines, but tried this again with the following changes: 13x9 baking dish lined with foil greased with butter (instead of the non-stick spray), lowered the temperature on my oven to 325° and baked for 15 minutes. The results this time were perfect! I really like the salted caramel flavor from using the Saltines. I'm so glad I tried this again. Made during the Cookathon in Pammy's memory. You'll be missed, Pammy!
- 236.59 ml butter
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 4 sheet unsalted matzo crackers
- 236.59 ml chocolate chips
- 177.44 ml almonds, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the matzo crackers on a greased jellyroll pan, to cover the entire bottom.
- Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil, boil for three minutes. Pour the mixture over the crackers. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove, sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over the top. Wait five minutes, then spread the melted chips over the crackers. Sprinkle toasted almonds over the crackers, chill. Break apart, and enjoy!
- You can adapt this with saltines, simply cover the pan with them. I have to say, I couldn't believe how good they were, and I'm not a sugary treat kind of girl!