Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe shows how one of my other recipes - for Hot Water Pastry - can be used in a 'sweet' context.
- 2 medium apples (red are best, medium to large in size)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 dates
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Follow the directions of my 'Hot Water Pastry' recipe, incorporating 2 tablespoons of sugar into the ingredients.
- Divide the pastry into two balls. Roll out each ball into a circular shape, and place on two small or one large lightly oiled baking tray(s).
- Peel the apples and use an apple corer to remove the cores.
- Place each apple in the center of each circle of pastry.
- Push a date down to the bottom of the hole in each apple.
- Put a tablespoon of sultanas in each apple hole.
- Put a tablespoon of honey in each apple hole.
- Push a date into the top of each apple hole.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of mixed spice over each apple, followed by a tablespoon of raw sugar each.
- Pull the pastry over the sides of each apple, patting the pastry together until the entire apple is covered, completely sealed with no gaps.
- Bake in your 180C oven for 35-45 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown, and when a skewer penetrates into the apple without resistance.
- Serve immediately with vanilla ice cream, double cream, or sour cream.