Recipe by Nikki
This is my mom's recipe for traditional SOUTH AFRICAN crumpets (little pancakes, or flapjacks). They are great for kids and they are melt in the mouth! My mom used to make a huge amount to send to school for birthdays - what a hit! They don't have yeast, so if you are looking for another type of crumpet, this isn't the recipe for you.
Top Review by Kezrose
This is the BEST crumpet recipe I have ever used. My grandmother also gave me this exact same recipe:) I halved the mixture, which makes just enough for 2/3 people and served with butter and syrup! YUM! Thank you for sharing Nikki! 5 *star rating!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix everything, leaving butter for last.
- Grease a flat bottomed frying pan or griddle.
- Drop or pour small amounts of batter onto griddle.
- Turn and cook other side when bubbles break on surface of crumpet.
- Heat should be medium to get a deep, even golden colour.
- Serve warm with butter and jam sandwiched together.