Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my mom's recipe for traditional SOUTH AFRICAN crumpets (little pancakes, or flapjacks). They are great for kids and they are melt in the mouth! My mom used to make a huge amount to send to school for birthdays - what a hit! They don't have yeast, so if you are looking for another type of crumpet, this isn't the recipe for you.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix everything, leaving butter for last.
- Grease a flat bottomed frying pan or griddle.
- Drop or pour small amounts of batter onto griddle.
- Turn and cook other side when bubbles break on surface of crumpet.
- Heat should be medium to get a deep, even golden colour.
- Serve warm with butter and jam sandwiched together.
This is the BEST crumpet recipe I have ever used. My grandmother also gave me this exact same recipe:) I halved the mixture, which makes just enough for 2/3 people and served with butter and syrup! YUM! Thank you for sharing Nikki! 5 *star rating!
I made this recipe yesterday but placed the mixture in my waffle machine.They came out very proffesional. I added a ball of vanilla icecream a drizzle of golden syrup and toasted sesame seeds.mmmmm! great recipe thankyou.
If I could give this recipe more than 5 Stars... I would've!!!! This is hands down the BEST flapjack recipe I've ever tried! I'm sticking to this recipe for the rest of my life!!! Thanks so much! :-)