Top Review by LuuvBunny
These are quite tasty but not quite as light and fluffy as I thought they would be.But none the less there will be none thrown away!The salt was listed as an ingredient but omitted in the directions so I just added it in with step # 6. I'm looking forward to having these with some jam spread on them...mmmm.
- 1 cup milk, warm
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted, cooled
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, Cold
- 1 egg, beaten with cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir warm milk and sugar together.
- Add yeast. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Stir well.
- Add flour; beat well.
- Add milk, sugar and egg.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add butter; beat and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, place the 4 cups of flour and the chilled butter.
- Cut butter into flour until pieces are the size of beans (not too small). Pour the liquid batter into the flour mixture; stir until moistened.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator.
- Press into a compact ball on a floured board and divide into 4 parts.
- Roll each into a circle 12" or 16".Cut each circle into 6 or 8 pie-shaped wedges.
- For each croissant roll a wedge towards the point.Shape into a crescent and place on ungreased baking sheet. Let rise at room temperature until doubled.(May take 2 hours or more). Brush each with egg beaten with cold water.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place croissants in oven.
- Lower temperature to 350 F and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.