Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Borrowed from "susan". The prep time and such are estimates. You can cook it longer than the directions specify, but it will likely fall apart as you're trying to take it out of the crock pot.
- 1 roasting chicken (choose one that will fit into your crock pot comfortably, and serve your size family)
- Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 4 -5 aluminum foil, balls (or about 4-5 foil covered potatoes, scrubbed clean, or if using foil balls only, make them the size )
- Crumple up 4-5 foil pieces into balls, or wrap potatoes in foil and place at bottom of crock pot. This will keep the chicken from sitting in it's juices and will make it roast not boil. Plus, if you do it w/ potatoes, you just have to throw together a salad and you're done.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry w/ paper towels. Sprinkle all over generously w/ seasoned salt.
- Place on top of foil balls in crock pot or on the foil covered potatoes.
- Cover and cook on HIGH (very important), for 6 hours or until chicken is done.
I stuffed the middle with 1 cut up lemon and a handful of fresh rosemary. I also used both Seasoning Salt and Canadian Steak Seasoning both inside and out. The chicken was surprisingly flavorful, but mine was overcooked after 5 hrs. Next time I will temp it at 4 hrs for doneness. It was a nice, easy inexpensive and healthy meal! I will definitely try this out again.
This is the perfect recipe for the busy mom! If you compare the cost of the store ready version and follow the recipe you can help save on your grocery bill. I put two well scrubbed baked potatoes in the crockpot. Poured 1/2 cup of canned chicken broth on the bottom and a Perdue Roaster breast perched on top. Sprinkled well with Lawry's seasoned salt. Cooked on high for 5 hours. Removed and microwaved the leftover liquid from crockpot for 1 minute with a mixture of 1Tbsp cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of tap water for gravy. Steamed broccoli and a healthy meal is ready!
This was a super easy and tasty recipe. I rubbed the seasoning right into the poultry and put my bird upside down on the foiled potatoes for an even more tender outcome!