Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This makes a nice dinner to come home to, you can use from a 3-pound to a 5-pound roast for this recipe, don't add any extra salt to this recipe, the seasonings have plenty of added salt to them, and 1/3 cup dry red wine can be added if desired. This is a very good recipe for crock pot roast! Servings are only estimated depending on the size of roast you are using. I prefer to use blade roast but you can use any pot roast you desired even a pork butt roast would would with this!
- 1 (5 lb) beef roast
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package au jus mix
- 1 (1 ounce) packagedried Italian salad dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 pinch cayenne (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato juice
- 3 cups baby carrots (or use a small package)
- 3 -4 medium potatoes (peeled and cut in half)
- Place onions and garlic in the bottom of the crock pot, then place the roast on top of them.
- Place the carrots and potatoes around the roast.
- In a bowl whisk together the tomato juice with both packages of seasonings, black pepper and cayenne (don't worry if there is lumps, they will work our during the cooking).
- Pour the mixture over the roast and veggies.
- Cook on LOW for 8-12 hours or on HIGH for about 4-1/2 hours.
This is the BEST roast I have ever had!
This was a very tasty pot roast. It was very juicy and tender. Thanks for posting this recipe.
My girlfriend (who does not cook!) made this today and it was DELICIOUS! She made it according to directions and it turned out perfectly. The meat was flavorful, tender and melted in your mouth. The vegetables had perfect texture. We served it with green beans and rice. This is definitely a keeper!