Recipe by Bobby Joe (Zhou) Moon
This is a crock pot version of authentic Texas Mexican (Tex-Mex) menudo. This is very easy to prepare.
Top Review by rbenavidez55
Excellent. I will make this again. As close to Mom's as I've been able to get. Not near the work I see her go through. Cooked mine for 10 hours and added a little salt to my taste. Yummo!
- 3 lbs honeycomb beef tripe (best from Mexican grocery or meat markets)
- 1 (1 lb) pig's foot (cut in small pieces by the butcher)
- 1 (30 ounce) can hominy
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 tablespoons Menudo Spice Mix
- 1 serrano pepper, pepper for extra spiciness (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- tap water, to fill the crock pot
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook on HIGH for 7 to 8 hours until the beef tripe and pig's foot is cooked very tender.
- Add more Menudo Mix and salt if desired to your taste.
- Garnish individual bowls of menudo with lime juice, chopped onions and chopped cilantro leaves.
- Enjoy with guacamole salad and corn or flour tortillas. Bon Appetit!