Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Company's Coming Slow Cooker Recipes. I love to make this when my kids have skating lessons. I can throw it into the crockpot after school and when lessons are over, dinner is waiting. If you are lucky enough to have two crock pots, you can have a glazed ham going in the other one and your dinner is ready to go!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese (or your favourite kind of cheese)
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray for easy cleaning.
- In a saucepan, combine first 5 ingredients.
- Pour in milk and stir with a whisk until no lumps remain.
- Heat and continue stirring until mixture boils and is thickened.
- Add cheese and then macaroni.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Pour into 3 1/2 quart (3. 5L) slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 2-2 1/2 hours or on high for 1 hour.
I don't like doing dishes, so I mixed the sauce ingredients right in my teflon-coated crockpot, stirred in the milk, added the cheese (1.5 cups) and the noodles, gave it another good stir, and turned it on high for an hour, stirring it at random intervals. I also threw in some chopped ham and used dried minced onions. It turned out like a hearty casserole (creamy, cheesy, yummy), but had more of a soft texture than the boil and bake variety.
I have made this twice and both times turned out very good. For me though, the original recipe has a little too much onion and not enough cheese. So on attempt 2, I doubled the cheese, cut the onions in half, and added a little dried mustard. PERFECT (for me)! Thanks for a great basic recipe as a starting point... I would never have thought to use my crock pot for Mac n' Cheese!
I doubled the recipe, used 1/2 cup flour, omitted salt, black pepper, Emeril's essence, minced garlic, small onion minced, worcestershire sauce, dry mustard powder, 6 cups whole milk, 6 cups mild cheddar, 4 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni. Started on high, when sides of the slow cooker were hot turned it down to low, done in 2 1/4 hours. Tastes just like my baked m&c without heating up the kitchen!