Recipe by Lanae Peterson
Who would have thought you could make LASAGNA in the CROCK POT!! DH likes this version more than the oven baked one.
Top Review by Luv2Cook/Hate2Clean:)
I've been making lasagna once a week for the past few weeks, since the 6-year-old ds declared himself a lasagna conoisseur last month. I've been making the Pepperoni Lasagna (recipe #43573), as it's his favorite, but it just takes so long. I decided to try to find a lasagna for the crockpot that might work for us. This is pretty darn close. I did throw in a little extra cheese, since I had some that needed to be used up, but I won't do that next time. It was a bit too cheesy for my tastes. I have no idea how many lasagna noodles are in 8 oz, so I just used 9 noodles total. That seemed to work well. The sauce still tasted fairly "ketchupy" to me when I combined the ingredients, so I ended up added about 2 tsp of Italian seasoning and about 1 1/2 tsp of cumin. I would definitely do that again. I also added a can of sliced mushrooms, to put in a little extra veggies. I really think it would do well with some shredded zucchini or something. I doubt it would even be noticeable. As always, I subbed ground turkey for ground beef. The family loved this, though. I want to look through some other recipes and maybe tweak the sauce a bit, but this is an excellent jumping-off point for an easy crockpot lasagna recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef, add onion and garlic - cook until onion is softened.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, tomato paste, salt and oregano - mix well.
- Spread one fourth of the meat sauce in an ungreased slow cooker. Arrange one third of the noodles over the sauce.
- Combine the cheeses.
- Spoon one third of the cheese mixture over the noodles.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Top with remaining meat sauce.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours.