8 hrs 20 mins
Easy crock pot recipe that requires a bit of prep but turns out delicious! I created this as an alternative to similar recipes that call for a bottle of Italian dressing, because I prefer to control the ingredients in my recipes. (Does anyone really want to ingest xanthan gum?) Shred the leftovers and use them in all manner of Italian and Mexican dishes! Notes: This recipe requires a large crock pot (I use a 6-qt one). Can be cooked from frozen but doesn't absorb the Italian seasoning as well (because seasonings must be sprinkled atop the skin), and may be difficult to get the lid on the crock pot tightly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thaw turkey breast in refrigerator. Remaining prep can be done the night before cooking.
- 2Wash breast and pat dry.
- 3Set breast on cutting board, meaty side up. (Use dishtowels to help hold turkey breast upright, or get someone to hold it for you.).
- 4Working from the bottom (pointy) end, use the handle of a wooden spoon or your fingers to separate skin from meat. Do not remove skin. When you are finished, skin should be attached around all sides but loose over the main portion of the breast.
- 5Using your fingers or a spoon, sprinkle the dry Italian dressing mix underneath the skin onto the breast meat. Try for relatively even coverage, but don't obsess! The flavor will be well-absorbed throughout the breast.
- 6Massage the skin to grind the seasoning mix into the meat as much as possible.
- 7Using a meat fork, pierce the breast (through the skin) many times.
- 8If prepping the night before, wrap breast and refrigerate. Otherwise, proceed to next step.
- 9Rub olive or canola oil over skin of breast, massaging well.
- 10Pour water and vinegar into crock pot.
- 11Place turkey breast skin-side down in crock pot. If necessary, bend or break ribs in order to get lid on tightly. Do not use foil to hold breast upright, as the vinegar will react with the foil. If you have to position breast on its side, see step 13.
- 12Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers at least 190°F.
- 13If you had to position the breast on its side, turn breast over once halfway through cooking time OR for several minutes after cooking has finished, so that the top side can marinate in the juices.
- 14Slice or shred and serve hot with your favorite side dish. Alternatively, cool and shred meat, freezing portions for later use (my favorite use for this recipe!).
Browse Our Top Turkey Breasts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Turkey Breasts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Crock Pot Italian Turkey Breast - OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.0
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 245.2 mg
- Sodium 223.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 82.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar
Italian salad dressing mix