Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Growing up, I loved my mom's ham and lima bean soup. It's just good old comfort food for me. I've never made mom's recipe but was meaning to ask for it after one day picking up a couple cans of lima beans for no reason. It'd been months since buying them and I purchased a new bowl that I wanted to use for soup photos so I scrounged around in the pantry and fridge. This was the result. It's a light soup, not heavy with tomatoes or cream, which was perfect for a family of 4 all feeling under the weather. My family really enjoyed it. I hope you do too!
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 6 small potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 (15 1/4 ounce) cans lima beans
- 2 cups ham, cut into bite-sized pieces (or a bag of pre-packaged cubed ham)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaf, rough chopped (or torn)
- Put everything into crock pot & stir.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours.
- At serving time you can use a potato masher, slotted spoon or a fork (if you want to do it right in the serving bowl) to mash up some of the potatoes and thicken the soup a bit.