Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy, delicious French Dip Sandwiches with almost no work on your part. My husband can make a meal of these, and they disappear quickly. Just start your crock pot in the morning and come home to the yummy aroma of dinner that's already done! Serve the beef on hoagie sandwich rolls topped with cheese, sauteed onions, and a side of aus jus.
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 cup coffee (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the roast and sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste. I often skip the salt, since the broth and soup mix are salty already.
- Put the roast into your crock pot, and pour the broth and coffee (if using) over the roast.
- Add the soup mix and garlic (if using)into the liquid and stir a bit. Don't worry about getting the soup mix to dissolve. The crock pot does all the work!
- Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, slice
- the meat, and serve hot on hoagie rolls with your favorite cheese (I prefer provolone or swiss). These are great with sauteed onions (can add bell pepper too). The broth makes delicious au jus for dipping your sandwiches.
DD is the only coffee drinker in the house, but you couldn't even taste the coffee in it. I did leave out the salt and doubled the garlic (which is the norm with every recipe for our garlic loving family) Easy to put together and everyone enjoyed it.
Decisions...decisions...red wine or white wine? All I know is that, beef...does the body good. Napkins anyone?!!
I made this as written, minus the salt. I was brave and even added the coffee but you could not tell it was in the broth at the end of the cooking time. For my crock pot, the roast only needs to cook for 6 hours at the most. I chilled the juice to remove the extra grease. Topped a plain bun with some of the beef and dipped it in the juice. Thank you for posting. Made for *Zaar Cookbook Tag 2009* game