Nothing can be easier than this scrumptious dinner! It cooks unattended until the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add a salad or green vegetable for a complete meal. This recipe will work for any size roast (beef or venison), just cook larger ones a little longer and smaller ones a little less.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef roast (chuck, shoulder, arm, trimmed of fat)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix or 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope mushroom soup mix
- 1 1/2 cups water (approximate)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry (kind you drink, not cooking sherry)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled (waxy, not baking potatoes)
- 6 large carrots, peeled, cut in half (I prefer California carrots because they are sweeter)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1Place roast in crock pot.
- 2Add potatoes and carrots.
- 3If using mushrooms, add them now.
- 4Pour dry soup mix, black pepper and bouillon into 2-cup measuring cup.
- 5Gradually add water, stirring to mix soup (breaking up lumps) and water, adding enough water to make 1-1/2 cups.
- 6Add sherry until mixture reaches 2-cup mark.
- 7Pour liquid over and around veggies and meat.
- 8Cover and turn crock pot to desired temperature: LOW (8 hours) or HIGH (4-6 hours) or until roast is tender.
- 9During the last hour of cooking, I slide the veggies from atop the roast into the hot juices so they get additional flavor.
- 10To serve: Remove roast and veggies from crock pot and place on serving platter to rest.
- 11To make Gravy: Put 1/4 cup water in small jar.
- 12Add cornstarch and stir to dissolve.
- 13Pour cold slurry into hot crock pot and stir until gravy is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Deer Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Crock Pot Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.0
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.3 mg
- Sodium 623.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 29.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium beef bouillon cubes