Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Another great chili recipe that cooks while you are working or out and about. We top this with a handful of crunchy tortilla chips.
- 1 (19 ounce) can hot chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs turkey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In small skillet, saute onion, garlic and peppers.
- In big skillet, brown beef or turkey.
- Drain fat.
- Add all ingredients to crock pot.
- Cook on high 4 to 6 hours or medium 6 to 8 hours.
The chili was so easy and absolutely delicious. This was my first time making chili in the crock pot and I think the simmering 8 hours was the key to success!
Geema, we liked this a lot too... it's one of my first ever crockpot chili recipes and it went down well with the family. I couldn't find celery seeds anywhere here, even after trying 5 shops, so had to make it without them. The overall taste was great and everyone had seconds.I also cooked mine for 8 hours and would make this recipes again no problem at all. Apologies that my photo isn't as good as it should have been.. late evening meal,everyone in a hurry to eat, artificial light... Please see my rating system, a wonderful 4 stars, Thanks !
I thought this was an excellent chili recipe. It had a very full-bodied flavor that I attribute to a well-proportioned blend of spices. I thought the celery seeds added something extra special to the flavor and I would never have thought of using that ingredient in chili. Easy preparation goes without saying but I am saying it anyway. Thanks Geema, my family and I enjoyed this so much.