Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
Super easy. It is quick to prepare before you run out the door. **Be careful, there will be bones in the finished product**
- 1 roasting chicken, without gibblets
- 1 whole onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, cut in half
- 15 whole baby carrots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet-hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 cup rice
- Place the cleaned chicken in the crock pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, sage, paprika, salt pepper, lime juice & water.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Turn heat up to high, add the rice and cook until tender. About 30 minutes.
I'd rate this higher but we still haven't gotten to taste it. I put the rice in an hour and a half ago and just a few minutes ago ladled out crunchy rice into a pot to try to salvage dinner by cooking it on the stove top. If minute or a quicker cooking rice is to be used please specify that in the recipe. I used regular long grain white rice and it didn't work.
I made this for a work pot-luck lunch. It did not last long at all and everyone loved it. Im trying not to eat much meat but did enjoy this comfort food! I also enjoyed the lime flavor!
This is so easy, and so rewarding. The chicken turns out falling apart tender, the rice is nice and fluffy, and the vegetables are soft and sweet. I love the brightness the lime juice adds to the flavor. It's a very nice touch.