Recipe by Badwolf
Brunswick Stew is a thick meat and veggie stew common in barbecue restaurants in the South Eastern US. It normally takes hours to prepare and uses meats like beef, pork and chicken. This recipe is much faster! If you can't find the brands listed in the recipe, feel free to substitute local brands in your area.
Top Review by kclay61
I use this recipe with a few exceptions. I don't use the chicken. Instead I use a can of roast beef. I also do not add BBQ sauce. I add Texas Pete (to taste) I never EVER add potatoes, beans, etc. To me that is not true Brunswick stew. I never have to add water either, but we like ours a little thick.
- 1 large onion, diced fine
- 2 (10 ounce) cans chicken
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef, Castleberry's BBQ Beef in Barbecue Sauce
- 2 (10 ounce) cans pork, Castleberry's BBQ Pork in Barbecue Sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce (Bull's Eye Hickory Smoke)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot)
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can potatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Add onions, chicken, beef, pork, corn, BBQ sauce and hot sauce to a crock pot or slow cooker.
- Break up whole tomatoes into chunks and add along with all liquid to mixture.
- Add crushed tomatoes to mixture.
- Add 2 cups water and stir.
- Cover and set cooker on low. Cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- Add diced potatoes (drained) and cook for 1 more hour.
- Serve with buttermilk cornbread or garlic bread.
- If listed brands are not available in your area, use local brands you can find.