Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This beef stew has a tomato based sauce, giving it a little different flavor. Cooked it up one day and got rave reviews from my husband, who is not a stew fan usually. It's also very, very easy and low in calories. I put it in a calorie calculator and it's only about 100 calories per cup. I like to put it together the night before and put the whole crock in the fridge, then in the morning I just pop it into the warmer and let it go!
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 12 ounces mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 1 lb baby red potato (leave them whole)
- 1 lb fresh green beans (ends snapped off)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce, plus
- 1 (28 ounce) water
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) packages Lipton beefy onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Brown the meat in a few tablespoons of olive oil over high heat. Just enough to sear it and seal in the juices.
- Combine the meat and all the ingredients in the crock pot, cook on low at least 6 hours, but can go for 10 or more.
I made this as written other then I didn't add the mushrooms and everyone enjoyed this. It was quick and easy to throw together in the morning before going out the door. Made for Spring PAC 2012