Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is a modified recipe from one that came with the user manual of my slow cooker.
- 5 lbs stewing beef
- 4 -5 large carrots, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, cubed (I like to leave the skins on)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup powdered gravy mix
- 2 (1 ounce) packets Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 cup water
- Combine ingredients in the order listed in a slow cooker.
- Cook on low for approx 10 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- Stir ingredients half way through to mix items together.
- Serve with crackers or buttered bread.
This made a bad day at work better.
This has been my go-to Stew recipe for the crock pot for awhile. If it's a rich stew with a thick gravy you're looking for, this is it. I use Tony Cachere's Gravy mix, substitute beef broth for the water and split the veggies to 1 cup corn and 1 cup green peas. Definitely stir well after 2 hours. In my crock pot it is done in exactly 6 hours on high. 4 batches will feed 35 hungry guys at a Men's Church Group meeting... don't ask me how I know that.