Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
More of a method than a recipe, this makes a perfect companion for a loaf of crusty bread when the first days of autumn's chill comes knocking! Just toss the ingredients together before you leave for work and come back to a delicious meal! Vegetables can be mixed, matched, or substituted to include your favorites. Rice or small pasta can substitute for barley. Uses up leftover beef (or even pork) like a champ! Meant for a 2 quart crock-pot, but easily doubles for bigger pots!
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup potato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup turnip, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup rutabaga, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, white only, chopped
- 1 cup cooked beef, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 ounces onion soup mix
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1 -2 cup water
- Place chopped vegetables in crock pot.
- Add pre-cooked beef on top, and package of onion soup mix.
- Pour enough water over to almost cover vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
- Test vegetables for desired tenderness, and add cooked barley and enough water to cover and allow to heat through.