Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is an easy way to have baked steak when you don't have a lot of time to spare in the evening. I was craving baked steak and gravy but knew I would be gone all day so I decided to experiment. After trying this I won't be making regular baked steak and gravy again. My husband said it was the best he had tried.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef round steak or 1 1⁄2 lbs beef cube steaks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (optional)
- Place frozen or thawed beef in a crock pot sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chopped onions on top.
- Pour beef broth over beef and onion.
- Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Add soup, mushrooms, and gravy mix. Stir well.
- Cook on low an additional hour or on high for 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Great. I added carrots and potatoes in about half way.
I have never had cube steak before, so please keep that in mind. I thought that the meat was in inedible. I had about three bites and had to stop eating because I could not keep it in my mouth without feeling ill. I also did not like the gravy because I don't like the flavor or brown gravy packets. Nevertheless, I am giving this two stars since my kids both liked the gravy, and one of them liked the meat. Perhaps cube steak is an acquired taste. My husband, who has had it before, thought it was OK.
This is how I fix my baked steak all the time now. I love that you don't have to brown the steak first.