Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I added in minced garlic also when sauteeing the onion but that is optional. These go great with eggs!
Top Review by *Z*
I think I have found my new favorite side dish!! LOL!!! I added an egg to the mix and it stuck together just fine.I didn't squeeze out the moisture from the hash browns before I mixed them. I don't know if that made a different from the other review but that's what I did. Yummy!!!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 3 teaspoons seasoning salt (or to taste, or use white salt)
- black pepper
- 8 slices kraft American cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a skillet over medium heat; add in onion and saute for about 6-8 minutes or until tender (if adding in garlic add in the last 2-3 minutes of cooking).
- In a bowl mix the thawed hash browns with onion, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Heat more oil in the skillet; drop the hash brown mixture into about 3-inch rounds (if you find that the mixture has problems holding together then add in an slightly beaten egg).
- Cook about 4-5 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and crispy (press down with a spatula to flatten).
- Top each potato round with a slice of cheese; cook until melted.