Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
My favourite road side snack. It has a crispy exterior while the inside is soft and succulent.
Make and share this Easy Crispy Falafel recipe from Food.com.
- 450 g dried garbanzo beans
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- red chili powder, to garnish (optional)
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped (use cilantro if you dont have parsley on hand)
- Soak the chickpeas overight in plenty of water.
- Drain well.
- Grind in a food processor.
- Add onion and parsley.
- Grind for a few seconds more.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Keep this mixture in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- With wet hands, shape a dessertspoonful of the mixture into a patty 4 cm round.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Deep fry the falafels until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder lightly and serve or serve without it.
- Serving Tip: Falafels can be had plain or served in sandwiches with a spread of sesame paste on bread slices followed by tomato slices and pickled (in vinegar) pieces of cucumber, beetroot and whole green chillies.
I've made this recipe 2 times and both times it's come out perfect. After reading many falafel recipes, I did add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 tablespoon flour but otherwise I followed everything as written by Charishma. Each time I made this recipe, everyone has enjoyed the taste from my 2 year old to my in-laws who are in their 70's. The one problem I had is getting everything to fit in my food processor. I had to split the ingredients and grind everything in two batches and then I mixed it all in together in a large bowl. The second time I made this, I made the mixture the day before I needed it. I kept it in a Tupperware container. The following day, I just shaped them and fried them a few hours before the guests arrived. I severed it with Tahini sauce. Yummmmmm! I've already added this recipe to my favorite recipe list and will be making it often. Thanks for the recipe Charishma!
We've tried these a couple of times, but nobody has liked them.
I have not yet prepared homemade falafel (I'm gonna :) I just wanted to add that I really enjoy them with cheddar cheese, onions and spicy brown mustard..happy eating!