Thick rich and full of tomato flavor, and takes only minutes to make --- use good quality Italian canned crushed tomatoes for this, it really makes a taste difference, I also like to add in about 15 minced fresh basil leaves :)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (to taste) (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon white salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4-1 cup whipping cream, unwhipped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- crouton (optional)
- In a large saucepan bring the crushed tomatoes, chili flakes, broth and seasoned salt to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in sugar, cream and butter; cook until butter is melted and all is combined.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with croutons.
This should have a new name....Easy Creamy Gourmet Tomato Soup. Need I say any more? I used Italian Style canned tomatoes, as that's what was in the cupboard. I'll be making this often. Thanks Kitten, for another fantastic recipe.
Kitten's recipes rock... This one was no exception. Quick, easy, and tasty. I followed Diana #2 and used the Italian style tomatoes I already had. I also used half and half rather than heavy cream, and cut back on the butter to just a few tablespoons, rather than a whole stick. Delish. Served with beer bread. This makes a lot of soup, but seems like it would freeze well if needed. Thanks for sharing!
Wow, this was absolutely incredible! I will never go back to the canned stuff again. The fresh basil added a lot to the soup, but I didn't add the butter. I tasted it after adding the cream and felt it was perfect as is. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!