1/2 Photos of Easy Creamy Scalloped Potatoes (Cheese Optional)
1 hr 5 mins
Diana #2's Note:
I grew up with the traditional 'layered potato and onion' version of scalloped potatoes. My husband doesn't care for onions, so I had to find another way to enjoy this dish. I'm not willing to give up the flavour you get by using onions, so I finely chop them before cooking. That way they disappear from site but not from taste. This has become our standard recipe that has received lots of compliments, and is always requested when the kids come to visit. Especially good with meatloaf. You can vary the taste by adding different spices. I've even added peas to the assembly. Also, feel free to increase the amount of cheese. NOTE: Your sauce will thicken much quicker if you use warmed milk. Microwave it for 1-1/2 minutes on High.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. The size needed will depend on how large your potatoes are.
- 2Peel and slice potatoes 1/4” thick. Gently boil until almost cooked. Set aside to drain. Avoid breaking slices.
- 3In the same pot, melt butter on medium/high heat. Add onion and saute until tender but not brown. Sprinkle with flour and allow the flour to be absorbed by the hot butter. You may need to reduce the heat to avoid scorching.
- 4Slowly add the warm milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Add salt, pepper, and the 1/2 cup of cheese, if using. Remove from heat and stir until the cheese has melted.
- 5Pour a small amount of the sauce in the prepared casserole dish. Top with half of the potato slices. Add half of the remaining sauce, followed by the rest of the potatoes and then the last of the sauce. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup cheese, if using, and sprinkle with chives.
- 6Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese has melted and is turning a golden brown.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Creamy Scalloped Potatoes (Cheese Optional)
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 465.6
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 47.5 mg
- Sodium 326.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 11.7 g