A velvety-smooth pumpkin soup that's perfect for a Thanksgiving day first course. From verybestbaby.com
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and sugar; cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add broth, water, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pumpkin, evaporated milk and cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- TRANSFER mixture to food processor or blender (in batches, if necessary); process until smooth. Return to saucepan. Serve warm.