Recipe by Karen From Colorado
Easy and very creamy soup with taste! Great served with grilled cheese sandwiches. Will satisfy even the meat lovers in your family.
Top Review by Diamond Dave
What an excellent recipe! We were sitting here watching "While You Were Out" being lazy - neither of us wanted to cook. Suddenly I had the urge for Potatoe Soup. I picked the first 5 star that I came across. Added an extra cup of chicken broth and instead of bacon I used turkey bacon - very nice! I also added 2 Tbsp of Parsley Flakes. Thanks Karen, this recipe will definately be part of menu!
- 5 -6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2-1 lb bacon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels or 3⁄4 cup whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp (see recipe #242966 for homemade bacon bit tips). Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve bacon grease.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a large dutch oven in water; do not add salt! Drain.
- Pour reserved bacon grease into empty dutch oven; saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon grease until onion is lightly browned.
- Add flour to the sauted onion mixture, stirring to evenly brown; add cream and stir constantly until mixture thickens; add chicken broth and stir until bubbly.
- Stir potatoes, corn and crumbled bacon into the soup; add butter, salt and pepper to taste. (you may not need salt. Bacon is very salty) Simmer until butter is melted and stirred into soup.
- Add milk at little at a time if soup is too thick for your tastes.