Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy and very creamy soup with taste! Great served with grilled cheese sandwiches. Will satisfy even the meat lovers in your family.
- 5 -6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1⁄2-1 lb bacon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels or 3⁄4 cup whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry bacon until crisp (see recipe #242966 for homemade bacon bit tips). Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve bacon grease.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a large dutch oven in water; do not add salt! Drain.
- Pour reserved bacon grease into empty dutch oven; saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon grease until onion is lightly browned.
- Add flour to the sauted onion mixture, stirring to evenly brown; add cream and stir constantly until mixture thickens; add chicken broth and stir until bubbly.
- Stir potatoes, corn and crumbled bacon into the soup; add butter, salt and pepper to taste. (you may not need salt. Bacon is very salty) Simmer until butter is melted and stirred into soup.
- Add milk at little at a time if soup is too thick for your tastes.
What an excellent recipe! We were sitting here watching "While You Were Out" being lazy - neither of us wanted to cook. Suddenly I had the urge for Potatoe Soup. I picked the first 5 star that I came across. Added an extra cup of chicken broth and instead of bacon I used turkey bacon - very nice! I also added 2 Tbsp of Parsley Flakes. Thanks Karen, this recipe will definately be part of menu!
I made this tonight for dinner and it was fantastic! I added some grated cheddar cheese on top of each bowl for and added touch.. By the way, my husband says we should rate this as 6 out of 5 and recommend it for a weekly treat...he loved it!!
Delicious, Time consuming, but well worth the wait.