Recipe by Chef Shantal
Tuna casserole was the first recipe I learned, but I didn't like the heavyness of 'cream of' soups. So I came up with this stove top version, with a milk based sauce its much lighter. Still creamy, delicious and full of flavor. Once you try it you won't go back.
Top Review by magpie diner
I chose this because I liked the idea of NOT turning the oven on...and it doesn't call for soup!!! The flavour worked out really nicely, love the rosemary. I didn't have lemon pepper, but could see how that would be good in it. The only thing that kind of stumped me was the amount of noodles vs the amount of sauce. Seems like a whole lot for 2 people. I ended up using a whole bag of the 'no yolk' noodles, which is 340 g (so, under 1 lb, but close enough). Maybe the no yolk kind are lighter. In any case, it was a little dry with so many noodles, so next time I'd just be sure to make more sauce. I also didn't want to get 3 pots dirty and managed to do it in 2. Thanks Shantal - my kids really enjoyed this!!
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas and carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water for pasta, cook according to package. Add frozen peas & carrots in last 4 minutes of cooking.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in skillet, add onion and celery, season with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Cook on low for 10 minutes, until soft.
- In sauce pan, heat 2 tbsp butter, 1tbsp flour, whisk, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Add parmsean cheese, salt, pepper, white pepper, paprika, garlic powder, dried rosemary. Heat on low until thickened.
- Add tuna and lemon pepper, to onion and celery.
- Add tuna mixture to sauce, stir well. Toss with drained pasta and veggies.
- Add more cheese if desired.