Recipe by Sharon123
This soup turned out nice and creamy and full of flavor! I hope you enjoy this easy to make soup! Made for RSC contest, Feb. 2010!
Top Review by Katzen
Oh gosh, Sharon, this is a real treat!!! And, you made it from a set of ingredients in an RSC contest?? I would have thought this was created by some master chef, it's so delicious! I can honestly say that this is the BEST cream of mushroom soup I've ever eaten! Do be aware that the slightly sour taste that cream cheese imparts is detectable, and some folks I gave it to didn't liket that - I plan to try Sharon's neufchatel suggestion might well remedy that - I'll be trying that next time! A couple of changes that I made: I used close to a lb of portabella mushrooms, because that's the package size I had; I didn't have scallions, so I used fine chopped cipollini onions; I had light herb & garlic cream cheese to use, so used that instead of plain, and I put the roasted garlic in with the stock and cream. (It wasn't ready when the recipe called for it.) While I loved the herb & garlic cream cheese in this, my husband thought it took it over the top, flavour wise, so my recommendation is to make it with plain, which is what I'll be doing next time! Oh, and I had used up all my lemons yesterday, so while I had lemon juice, I didn't have zest. It didn't seem to detract from the flavour. Made for PRMR Tag. Thanks, Sharon!
- 1⁄2 lb white button mushrooms, diced
- 1⁄2 lb portabella mushroom, diced (baby bellas are good or use a mix of portobello and shitake)
- 4 -5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
- 3 roasted garlic cloves, minced (roast whole bulb of garlic wrapped in foil in 350*F. oven 1 hr)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk (or half and half)
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, softened (low fat-neufchatel is good)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbls. water
- parsley, chopped, to garnish
- smoked paprika (optional)
- dry sherry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice and chop vegetables.
- Melt butter in a high sided large saute pan. Lightly saute scallions about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, roasted garlic, thyme, bay leaf and lemon juice and zest; saute over medium heat 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, cream, whole milk, cream cheese and stock; bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add cornstarch that has been dissolved in 1 tbls. water to soup, continue to simmer 10 more minutes, stirring continually until soup is desired consistency and mushrooms are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Remove bay leaf.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- If you like, sprinkle a dash of smoked paprika and a splash of sherry into each bowl. Enjoy!