Recipe by *Parsley*
This recipe uses canned mushrooms to speed up the cooking time. Make sure the can is 16 oz DRY weight of mushroom pieces. If you can't find those large cans, just by small ones to equal 16 oz DRY weight.
Top Review by Caroline Cooks
01.11.09I need more stars for this! Parsley, you have the best soup recipes posted, I swear! :) Loved this one--so easy, creamy and delicious. I used fresh 'shrooms, chopped and sauteed with the onion, etc. and Fat Free Half/Half MMMMM. Made for the BellyWarmers event in Cooking Photos. UPDATE: Made one serving for lunch again last week. Yummy in the tummy!!
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29 ml finely chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
- 2.46 ml thyme
- 59.14 ml flour
- 473.18 ml reduced-fat chicken broth
- 453.59 g can mushroom stems and pieces, DRAINED, large can 16 oz dry wt written on can
- 473.18 ml 1% low-fat milk
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 1.23 ml pepper
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the onions, garlic, parsley and thyme; sautee until very soft but NOT brown.
- Stir in the flour until blended and bubbly.
- Stir in the chicken broth and stir until well mixed and thickened.
- Stir in the drained mushrooms and milk. Stir in the half and half and pepper.
- Bring to a light simmer; reduce heat and lightly simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste, if needed.