This recipe uses canned mushrooms to speed up the cooking time. Make sure the can is 16 oz DRY weight of mushroom pieces. If you can't find those large cans, just by small ones to equal 16 oz DRY weight.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups reduced-fat chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, DRAINED, large can 16 oz dry wt written on can
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the onions, garlic, parsley and thyme; sautee until very soft but NOT brown.
- Stir in the flour until blended and bubbly.
- Stir in the chicken broth and stir until well mixed and thickened.
- Stir in the drained mushrooms and milk. Stir in the half and half and pepper.
- Bring to a light simmer; reduce heat and lightly simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Salt to taste, if needed.