Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this recipe in Southern Living magazine. I have not tried this recipe, but I'm posting it for safe keeping.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth.; cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and next 3 ingredients; cook, whisking constantly, 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir in Cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in hot cooked pasta. Serve immediately.
- Kitchen Express: Prepare pasta according to package directions. Cook 2 (10oz) containers refrigerated light Alfredo sauce in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Gradually whisk in 10oz block 2% sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded, until smooth. Stir in hot cooked pasta and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper.
- Southwest Chicken Mac and Cheese: Stir in 2 cups chopped cooked chicken and 10oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained, into cheese sauce with pasta.
- Spinach-Bacon Mac and Cheese: Stir in 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon (about 6 slices) and 6oz package fresh baby spinach into cheese sauce with pasta.
- Broccoli-Ham Mac and Cheese: Stir in 2 cups smoked ham and 12oz package frozen steam-in bag broccoli florets, cooked according to package
- directions, into cheese sauce with pasta.
- Chicken-Asparagus Mac and Cheese: Stir 2 cups chopped cooked chicken and 9oz package frozen asparagus cuts, cooked according to package directions, into cheese sauce with pasta.
- Pea-Prosciutto Mac and Cheese: Cook 1/2 cup thinly sliced prosciutto, pancetta, or bacon (about 2oz) in a lightly greased skillet until crisp. Stir in prosciutto and 12oz package frozen sweet peas, cooked according to package directions, into cheese sauce with pasta.
This is my new go-to mac n' cheese! No more store-bought fake cheese packets for me anymore! I loved how easy this was to throw together. It was also quick to make. I didn't have the elbow pasta, so I used what I had on hand. Also, I ended up using about half a box of pasta, not the 1/2 cup listed. The sauce made a big pot! Thanks for posting!