Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My family decided to make a Butternut Squash Lasagna for Thanksgiving as our vegetarian main dish and I was not completely satisfied with any of the recipes I saw on Zaar. Some of them were too complicated or too high in fat and made with heavy cream or too low calorie and bland. So I took bits and pieces from each recipe and came up with this one. I originally made it in a 9x9 inch pan so I'm not completely certain about the following measurements. One serving is 1/4 of a 9x9 inch pan and has about 300 calories.
- 12 sheet no-boil lasagna noodles (I use Barilla flat-rolled homemade style. There will be extras in the box if you use these)
- 1 small butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and chopped into small bite sized pieces)
- 946.36 ml fresh spinach
- 2 (680.38 g) package frozen butternut squash puree (thawed)
- 425.24 g part-skim ricotta cheese
- 59.16 ml asiago cheese (shredded) or 59.16 ml parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 9.85 ml asiago cheese (shredded) or 9.85 ml parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 473.18 ml 2% mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 59.14 ml skim milk
- 4.92 ml garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml dried garlic flakes (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml dried shallots (or to taste)
- 1.23 ml Italian herb seasoning (or to taste)
- 4.92 ml salt (or to taste)
- 4.92 ml black pepper (or to taste)
- Butternut Squash.
- Put butternut squash in a microwave save bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste (probably about 1/8 tsp each) and stir. Cover and microwave 6-10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Squash "Marinara".
- Wilt fresh spinach in the microwave using a covered microwave safe bowl. Add thawed squash puree. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder (about 1/8 to 1/4 tsp each).
- Ricotta Mixture.
- Combine ricotta and 1 tsp shredded asiago in small bowl. Add salt, pepper, italian seasoning, dried shallots and dried garlic flakes to taste (about 1/4 tsp each).
- Cream Sauce.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, combine milk and 2 Tbsp shredded asiago. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste (about 1/8 tsp to 1/4 tsp each).
- Assembly and cooking.
- Spread a small amount of Squash Marinara on bottom of 13 x 9 inch pan. Place four sheets of uncooked lasagna noodles on top. Cover noodles with approximately 1/3 of remaining Squash Marinara, top with 1/2 of Ricotta Mixture, 1/2 of Butternut Squash, and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. Place four more uncooked lasagna noodles on top of this. Cover with approximately 1/2 of remaining Squash Marinara, all of the remaining Ricotta Mixture, all of the remaining Butternut Squash, and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella. Top with remaining four lasagna noodles. Cover noodles with remaining Squash Marinara, all of the Cream Sauce, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, and 2Tbsp of shredded asiago cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Uncover and return to oven for 5 minutes of until cheese is bubbly on top. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes then slice and serve.
I love this recipe, so good. i make it on the weekend and eat the leftovers all week.