Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
You may omit the garlic if desired, I like to add it in.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 small celery ribs, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (can use more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (optional and to taste)
- parmesan cheese (optional and to taste)
- In a heavy pot melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add in onions, carrots and celery; cook stirring for about for about 3 minutes or until tender.
- Add in garlic and chili flakes; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the two cans potato soup and two cans clams WITH their juice. .
- Drain and discard the juice from the remaining can of clams, then add the clams to the soup; bring to a simmer stirring.
- In a bowl whisk about 1/3 cup half and half cream with cornstarch until smooth; add to the simmering soup stirring continuously.
- Add the remaining half and half cream and black pepper; bring to a boil and cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt if using.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
Sooo good and much easier than the traditional way! I may never go back. :)