Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is my homemade Chicken Dumpling Soup. It has a slightly creamy base, not quite a cream soup, but not a broth either. The dumplings are not the fluffy kind, but chewy, more like an egg noodle. I use chicken breasts, just a preference, but you could use any type of chicken pieces. It freezes great, but is best to freeze without the dumplings, and make the dumplings when you serve it.
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups stock
- 1⁄3 cup corn
- 1⁄3 cup peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Simmer the carrots, onion and celery in the chicken broth until soft.
- Add the corn, peas, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and chicken.
- Add the cream soups and mix well over medium heat until incorporated.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- For the dumplings, mix the egg, milk, and melted butter.
- Add to the flour and add salt, pepper and parsley.
- It will make a thick sticky batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes,
- Do not allow soup to boil.
- Serve in large bowls.
This was a good creamy soup, like I was looking for, but it was definitely too salty. If I make it again, I will omit the salt or make my own cream soups and monitor the salt that way. The dumplings were perfect, though - exactly like I was looking for.
This recipe is fantastic! I use low fat and reduced sodium soups and broth. I also used more broth than called for to thin it out about. I also am going to put more peas and corn in the next time I make it. Thanks for sharing!
My whole family loves, loves, loves this recipe. Even my 11 month old. I reduced the cream soup to one or two cans - low fat variety - and increased the broth (low sodium) just to put a healthier spin on it and it turned out fantastic. I also have been using leftover turkey from the freezer and it is great. A really, really good "dinner" soup.