Recipe by Megan's Mommy
This is my homemade Chicken Dumpling Soup. It has a slightly creamy base, not quite a cream soup, but not a broth either. The dumplings are not the fluffy kind, but chewy, more like an egg noodle. I use chicken breasts, just a preference, but you could use any type of chicken pieces. It freezes great, but is best to freeze without the dumplings, and make the dumplings when you serve it.
Top Review by Micro Gal
This was a good creamy soup, like I was looking for, but it was definitely too salty. If I make it again, I will omit the salt or make my own cream soups and monitor the salt that way. The dumplings were perfect, though - exactly like I was looking for.
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups stock
- 1⁄3 cup corn
- 1⁄3 cup peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer the carrots, onion and celery in the chicken broth until soft.
- Add the corn, peas, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and chicken.
- Add the cream soups and mix well over medium heat until incorporated.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- For the dumplings, mix the egg, milk, and melted butter.
- Add to the flour and add salt, pepper and parsley.
- It will make a thick sticky batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls into the simmering soup.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes,
- Do not allow soup to boil.
- Serve in large bowls.