Recipe by BaconTastesGood
A simple and tasty creamed spinach recipe.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Mmmm, cheesy! I didn't have any frozen spinach, but I had a couple bags of fresh that I needed to use, so I'm not sure if I put in enough spinach (not sure if 2 10oz bags of steamed fresh is close to a 15oz box of frozen). Either way, this was yummy and cheesy, and about as decadent as spinach can be -- I think I had just as much cheese as spinach! Good stuff, thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 09
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 15 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped sauteed
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes.
- Add the milk and cook until thickened.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere.