Recipe by Mary_K
This soup is comfort food at it's best! It makes a good lunch or dinner with some sandwiches. I use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian friendly for my sister. Enjoy!!
Top Review by mama smurf
What a delicious soup. I cut the recipe in half, steamed fresh broccoli in the microwave, used fresh homemade chicken broth for vegetable broth (don't always have that in the pantry) and followed the rest of the instructions. YUMMO!! Made for Fall Pick-A-Chef 2011. Definately will make this again.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 celery rib
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed veleveta cheese
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add diced celery, onion, and garlic to butter. Allow 2 minutes to soften.
- Stir in flour and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in veg. broth & frozen broccoli. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon out most of the big chunks of broccoli.
- Mash the broccoli with a potato masher or puree in a blender -- return broccoli to soup.
- Add milk and cubed cheese. Stir occasionally until melted and well combined.
- Season with black pepper &/or hot sauce for a kick!