Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This has to be the easiest recipe for brisket and it is so good, you can also make this same recipe using a pot roast! If you can make this a day ahead the sauce flavor intensifies the following day, just rewarm over low heat. If you are making a larger brisket then double the ingredients but still only use 2 onions and 1-2 tablespoons fresh garlic. This brisket is melt in your mouth tender!
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 (5 lb) beef brisket
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
- In a bowl mix together beer, cranberry sauce and ketchup; set aside.
- Sprinkle the brisket with salt and pepper (I use seasoning salt) brown on both sides about 6 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add in sliced onion and garlic (if using) saute for about 7-8 minutes or until soft, stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the brisket back to the pot and pour in the beer mixture and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot tightly and transfer to the oven.
- Cook for about 3 hours at 325 degrees, or until the brisket is tender, seasoning the sauce with salt and pepper if desired the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Transfer the brisket to cutting board and slice.
- Spoon any fat off from the top of the gravy.
- Transfer the slices to a serving platter and pour over the gravy.
Easy and tasty recipe! I was not sure what temp to cook this at, so I cooked it for 4 hours at 325 and it came out fine.