Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
High protein, low fat, terrific flavor
- 2 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 7 large potatoes, washed (peeled or unpeeled as desired)
- 1 lb crabmeat, cooked
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups fat free sodium free chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- spring onion, chopped for garnish
- dried parsley, for garnish
- Using 2 packets of sodium free chicken bullion, make 4 cups of chicken broth in microwave. Bake 4 potatoes in microwave, slice and puree in food processor using 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup chicken broth to thin your mixture during puree. While potatoes are baking, chop celery, onions, and remaining potatoes into 1 inch dice. (carbs can be reduced without any effect on flavor by substituting washed peeled turnips for a few potatoes if desired).
- Spray a 5 quart (or larger) saucepan with fat free butter flavored cooking spray. Chop turkey bacon and cook on low heat until slightly crisp. Remove bacon when done and set aside. Add chopped vegetables (not puree mixture) to bacon juices in saucepan. Add remaining chicken broth and 1 tbsp minced garlic. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. While chowder is simmering, pick over crab to remove cartilage bits and break meat into smaller pieces if necessary.
- When potatoes and vegetables are fork tender, stir in pureed potatoes and remaining milk. Continue to simmer. Stir in crab, and cayenne pepper to taste. Simmer about 5 minutes. Although salt may be added if desired, it is not included in nutritional analysis.
- Soup can be thickened by using more pureed potatoes and less chicken broth. Use cooked turkey bacon bits and chopped spring onions to garnish each serving.