Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are delicious crab cakes that my mom makes..I think she got the recipe from a co-worker. It goes well with a black bean soup.
- In a bowl, combine red pepper, green onion, mayo, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir in crab, egg, and 1/3 c of the breadcrumbs (may be sticky).
- Divide and form mixture into 4 balls.
- Roll crab balls in remaining breadcrumbs.
- Flatten into cakes about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat and fry crab cakes 3-4 min per side, or until golden.
I followed the recipe, but like the other reviewer, I had to use more bread crumb than asked for in recipe. But all in all it was good.
This is my first attempt at crab cakes. I left off the green onions and used cooked, caramelized white onion. I also used a big dash of cayenne pepper for more flavor. My mixture was very moist, even after adding 1/3 cup of the breadcrumbs; therefore, I ended up adding a lot more breadcrumbs to the mixture. My resulting crab cakes had a heavy bread crumb flavor, but were still soft in texture. I don't know if this is how they're supposed to be, but I think I would prefer a patty without breadcrumbs holding it together. The breadcrumbs did give me a nice golden, crunchy outer coating, which I enjoyed. Also, the recipe doesn't specify to drain the crab, but I did. For a first attempt at crab cakes, these were quite yummy and I ate three of them by myself! Thank you for posting.
Loved this recipe. It is almost like the one my mom used when I was growing up. If you have leftover cakes they make great cold crab cake sandwiches. I usually double the recipe so we can have left overs.