Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can use half chicken broth and milk if desired, add in some cayenne for some heat also.
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (lots black pepper!)
- 4 cups milk or 4 cups half-and-half cream or 4 cups 18% table cream
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat; whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until browned (about 10 minutes, the mixture MUST be browned!).
- Gradually whisk in milk or cream; cook/whisk until smooth and thickened (no lumps must remain).
- If the gravy becomes too thick add in a litle more milk and whisk until smooth and heated.
Horrible. The instructions weren't especially helpful. Might be good to go back and add detail like when and how the mixture is supposed to thicken. Might also like to specify what you mean by browning - like making caramel, there are shades of brown and which one you stop at is important. Light brown? Dark brown? Medium brown? Either way, the result tasted like reduced cardboard with milk, and adding heaps of salt and pepper is done more to mask the lack of flavor than enhance it. I'm typically never this negative about a review, but this recipe was unnecessarily vague (incomplete/unhelpful recipe instructions) and the result was shameful.
Don't listen to those clowns. 4 oz of oil to 32 oz of milk is not too much and if you even have a smidge of an idea on how to cook this recipe is described just fine. The gravy came out great! I always made mine from the packet but decided I would try from scratch and I'll never buy the packet again. I added hot Italian sausage and cayenne pepper to mine. Thank you Kittencal for sharing this recipe I will definitely try your others
I followed the recipe to the T and it came out terrible. I should of known, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil is ridiculous. This was disgusting, I wasted a lot of oil, flour, and half & half for a big pot of nasty thick "gravy". Disappointment.