Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the cornbread recipe that's been used in my family for generations. Of course, before cornmeal mix was developed, they added the salt, baking powder and soda. It's the best cornbread I've ever had but maybe I'm partial.
- 2 tablespoons Crisco shortening or 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (more or less as needed)
- Melt the shortening or grease in a 10-inch cast iron skillet in the oven as its preheating to 400 degrees Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Don't overbeat.
- Mix until just combined and batter looks a little grainy.
- Pour the hot grease from the skillet into the batter and mix.
- It will sizzle and smoke a little.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve with butter.
I'm rating this 3 stars for the following reasons: it mixed well,it cooked quickly & it turned out pretty. DH said it was a little dry :S
I made this recipe a while back and it was pretty good. It is good when you need a quick corbread. I will make it again.