Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
You dont have to use a smoker or scratch ingredients to get competition quality babyback ribs. A pre-packaged rub & sauce, your oven and this recipe and you wont find better ribs. The butter is the magic ingredient and the water is the key to keeping the ribs moist and juicy. My son is a rib connoisseur and he eat's babyback ribs at every restaurant he can and he say's these are the best he's ever had. This my own recipe.
- 2 lbs baby back ribs
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, chipotle rub (McCormicks sweet & smoky is best)
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is best)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Remove membrane from ribs. Wipe ribs with papertowels to remove excess moisture (helps butter to stick). rub butter onto both sides of ribs. Rub until butter doesnt slide off easily. Sprinkle (dont rub) the sweet & smoky spice onto both sides of ribs until completely and generously covered.
- Take 2 pieces of foil approximately 6in longer than the ribs and fold/crease the long edges together. Place the foil in a roasting pan or baking sheet that is large enough for the ribs to lay flat and not be pushed up on the sides. Place ribs meat side up in foil and pull up edges leaving a small opening at the top. Pour water into foil around the ribs but not on the ribs and then seal top of foil so as to leave room between the ribs and the top of the foil.(This will allow the water steam to circulate throughout the ribs making them moist and juicy.).
- Bake at 300 degrees for 3 hours Open top of foil and brush BBQ sauce onto ribs and cook 20 more minutes with foil open. Remove from oven and top with extra BBQ sauce to taste.
Thank you Lige68 for this recipe. I had on hand McCormick's Barbeque rub. I mixed that with the brown sugar. I loved the butter in this. I rubbed the ribs with the butter, then sprinkled on the spice mixture, then I sprinkled on a small amount of red pepper flakes. I let it sit on the ribs for about 6 hours, then baked per directions. I added the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, because that is the only sauce I use. DH and I were very happy with this recipe.