Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is adapted from many other recipes and friends who taught me how to make collard greens.
- 1 (14 ounce) bag collard greens
- 3 (15 ounce) cans Swanson chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) package bacon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Cut the bacon into one inch pieces and fry in a large stock pot on medium high until cooked.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the salt and collard greens then stir.
- Lower heat to medium low and cover collard greens. Cook for 1 hour covered.
- Add the red pepper flakes and let cook uncovered for an additional 5-10 minutes.
I liked this a lot! It was a little heavy on the bacon, but then again I served it with mac and cheese and oven fried chicken, so I really wanted it to be more of a vegetable side dish. I will definitely make again but with a little less bacon and red pepper flakes, which were a little too spicy for us.