Recipe by Jen T
An elegant do ahead dessert or party cake to impress your friends. This makes it ideal for entertaining as it can be prepared the night before you need it. Do not serve this cake only a few hours after you have made it because it needs at least 12 hours (preferably 24hrs) for the cake to absorb moisture from the syrup and cream. It keeps well for 2-3 days although the nuts may discolour the cream a little. If this happens just pipe extra cream over the nuts an hour or so before serving and decorate with fruit. I got this at a cooking demonstration. I'm glad I went!! Note:- Cooking time is time for refrigeration.
- 1 sponge cake (8-inch /20cm - 9-inch /23cm diam, 2 layers unfilled)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rum (or 2 Tbsp rum or brandy) or 1⁄2 teaspoon brandy extract (or 2 Tbsp rum or brandy)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream (whipped)
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts (chopped) or 1⁄4 cup toasted almond (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each layer of sponge in half horizontally.
- Boil instant coffee, sugar and water together, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved commpletely, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Cool and add essence or spirits.
- Whip the cream.
- Place a layer of sponge on a serving plate and drizzle one sizth of the syrup over it.
- Spread over a sixth of the whipped cream.
- Drizzle the same quantity of syrup over the next layer of sponge while it is laying on work surface, then place it, coffee side down over the cream.
- Repeat with the remaining layers, then cover the top and sides with the remaining cream.
- Sprinkle nuts over side and top of cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours, but preferably 24 hours before serving.
- Cut in wedges to serve.