Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love the fact that this recipe doesn't require either an ice cream maker, or hours of stirring during the freezing process. It comes out smooth and silky, just like ice cream should be, with a delicate coconut flavour. I might try adding some Malibu next time to give it even more of that tropical kick. Great served alongside caramelised bananas and drizzled in a dark chocolate and rum sauce.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Place the bowl over a pan with about 1cm of simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Whisk continuously for ten minutes, until the eggs have cooked through and you're left with a thick, custard-like mixture.
- Allow to cool (I place the bowl into a sink of cold water to speed this up), then place in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, whisk the double cream in a large bowl until it forms still peaks. Gently fold through the coconut milk, vanilla extract, coconut flakes and the cooled egg mixture.
- Pour into sealable plastic containers and freeze for 8 hours.
- Bring out of the freezer at least 15 minutes before serving to allow it to soften slightly.