Recipe by SaraFish
Easy and chocolatey without being too heavy! It can be dairy-free if you use margarine.
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
Very yum! Nice and moist. We made it last night and had it today for lunch. I used my favorite chocolate frosting from Recipe #280351. I wasn't so sure about this mix when I added the huge amount of water. It was after adding the last couple scoops of dry mix to the mixer that it came together just right. So you have to trust the process. This was almost too much for my Kitchen Aid mixer in quantity. I think I would do half the sugar as white sugar, just to sweeten it up a little. Also, this makes A LOT! I made it in my biggest springform pan, which was quite deep. The cake rose nicely, but it was way too much for one layer. All in all, the cake is very tasty. It would also make really good cupcakes. Made and Reviewed for Bargain Basement Tag game - Thanks! :)
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar in another bowl, add eggs, vanilla and water.
- Mix in dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Bake in preheated 350 oven in buttered and floured (or cocoa'd) 9 inch cake pan for about an hour or til cake tests done with a toothpick.
- Cool in pan for an hour then remove to rack and sift powdered sugar over top.