Recipe by motherof4boys
EASY CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE
Top Review by mama_lisa
I made this on a whim this morning because I was craving coffee cake for breakfast. It was pretty easy to throw together and I had all the ingredients on hand. The batter came out very thick, almost like a dough. I was thinking I had done something wrong. I had to spread it in the pan with my spoon and then add the butter and topping. I baked it for 20 minutes. The final cake came out with good flavor, although maybe a little dough-y. I may modify this recipe if I try it again. I did have 3 pieces for breakfast, ha, so it is tasty, but seems like it needs a little fine tuning.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup solid shortening
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender to the size of small peas.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg well; then stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Add the egg-milk mixture to the flour mixture all at once.
- Stir carefully until just blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Drizzle top with melted butter.
- In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake t 425 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.