Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
A friend of ours dropped by one day with a few of these to share. He got the recipe from his grandmother. There are very few recipes I make using Cool Whip but this is now one of them. I looked up Cool Whip Candy here on Zaar & there are a couple others posted but they use different cookies and Hershey candy bars. I liked that this recipe uses chocolate chips, as they melt faster & I could buy a brand that I favor over Hershey. We store the truffles in a large resealable bag in the freezer & just grab one or two whenever we have a bit of a sweet tooth. Aside from some heavy duty stirring this recipe is very kid friendly. Cook time is chill time.
Top Review by eatpeeps
Thanks for posting! I've been looking for this recipe for a while now... A friends mom used to make these and she taught me how years ago. I never wrote down the recipe, because it's so easy. But then I didn't make them for a while and forgot. These are amazing! You can also use a whole candy bar instead of the chips.
- 3 (12 ounce) bags milk chocolate chips (12 oz each, not semi-sweet)
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip, Thawed (store brands & Lite options don't work)
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) package graham crackers, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In large microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips slowly. About 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each increment until the chips are melted.
- Slowly start folding in the thawed Cool Whip & then continue to stir until well incorporated. (If Cool Whip is not well thawed the chocolate will freeze into tiny bits, ending with texture that resembles a rice krispie treat when eaten. The optimal outcome is to have a center that is light & fluffy like a 3 Musketeers candy bar.) Either way, they are very good.
- Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper or parchment.
- Roll a Tablespoon sized amount in your fingers or use a small (1-1/2 inch)cookie scoop and form into balls. Set aside on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until the mixture is used up.
- Put cookie sheet with truffle centers into freezer for about 20 minutes (or longer to harden a bit).
- When ready to roll, remove centers from freezer & let sit on counter for just a few minutes.
- Put crushed graham crackers into a shallow bowl, roll each ball to cover and then place back on cookie sheet.
- When finished, put the cookie sheet back in freezer for an hour or two.
- Store covered in refrigerator or for long-term storage put the truffles into a large resealable bag & store in the freezer.